10 February 2007

California Treadmill: Just Do It

Thanks to Corilee of Playin' the Edge for stopping by and offering encouragement. She has a great yoga site that's worth a visit!

I am visiting my sister in rainy, sodden, soaked, and drowning Northern California. I have been here since Wednesday night and it just will not stop raining. Sister has a treadmill though but I "forgot" my running shoes. So to keep my streak of three days a week intact I went out and bought some running shoes - Asics. To run on the treadmill. I hate running on the treadmill but its better than nothing. And as Corilee basically said just do it (which by the way Nike co-opted rather than created - see Zen footnote). So I did it. And I feel virtuous. Just like Corilee said I would.

Zen footnote: Shunryu Suzuki put it in his classic "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" many years before the Nike co-opt: Our Soto way puts an emphasis on shikan taza, or 'just sitting.' Actually we do not have any particular name for our practice; when we practice Zen we just practice it. Even though we are sleepy, and we are tired of repeating the same thing day after day; even so we continue our practice. Whether or not someone encourages our practice, we just do it.

No comments: