Didn't exactly seem like the first day of summer at our house today (rain/60 degrees) BUT enjoying this Fresh Herb Risotto made us feel all summery anyways!
7 cups veggie stock
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups FINELY chopped herbs (parsley, chives and arugula were my choices)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, finely chopped.
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine (some like dry, I like Riesling)
Fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp fresh minced lemon zest
1/2 freshly grated parmesan (splurge on the good stuff, it does make a difference)
1. Combine the herbs with one of the minced cloves in a small bowl. Add a grind of pepper.
2. Heat your stock so its hot but not simmering.
3. Heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook stirring constantly until soft. Do not brown!
4. Stir in the rice, garlic and onion. Stir until well mixed and add the wine. Cook until the wine is absorbed.
5. Add the stock in ladlefuls (1/2 cup or so at a time) and stir until absorbed. Repeat. After about 20 or 25 min the rice should be done and you should have a 1/2 cup or so of stock left.
6. Stir in the herbs, pepper, lemon zest and juice and cheese.
7. Remove from heat and stir until everything is nicely incorporated. If it seems a little thick add stock until it seems creamy but not at all runny.
8. Serve immediately with a little minced herbs and lemon zest on top.
A nice variation is to add a 1/2 cup of fresh shelled and cooked peas at the last minute along with everything else!