Dinner tonight was corn and asparagus with pasta. Fresh corn stripped off the cob. Fresh asparagus. Mostaccioli pasta. So delicious it still seemed like an August afternoon rather than a chill September evening!
4 ears of corn
1 bunch of asparagus
3/4 pound of mostaccioli pasta
Salt/Pepper to taste
Tablespoon dried oregano
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Dash of ground dried thyme
1/4 cup of white wine
Vegetarian bouillon cubes.
1. Strip the corn off the cob. Cook in a little olive oil, salt and pepper until almost done. Remove from heat.
2. Cut asparagus into 1/2 inch or shorter pieces. Cook in the boiling pasta water until just heated through. Drain and rinse with very cold water until chilled.
3. Add pasta to water (add bouillon cubes to make a broth to cook the pasta in) and cook according to package directions. Add a little olive oil to the water!
4. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a big saute pan. Add the corn and bring to a simmer. Add the garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, dill and pepper to taste. Stir to prevent browning.
5. When corn is heated through add the wine and bring back to a simmer
6. Add the asparagus and stir and shake until its heated through.
7. Hold until pasta is ready. Drain pasta (reserve a little liquid) and add to the corn asparagus mixture. Toss and shake until its all heated through. Add a little of the reserved liquid if it seems a dry.