16 May 2008

Magic The Teacher

The old saying is that "when the student is ready the teacher appears." My teacher appeared on Saturday last, at the Petco, in a cage. All paws and wagging tail that he will need to grow into, our new puppy, Magic, is indeed the teacher for which I have been waiting. I did not however expect that I would have to clean up shit left by my teacher from the bedroom carpet, but who am I to question the teacher?

Magic's teaching is simple. When outside, be outside. When inside, rest. When someone throws a ball, chase it only if that seems like an interesting thing to do. If someone tries to make you do something you don't want to do, well, don't.

To Magic, this is all obvious. To me, well, I didn't think puppies knew all of this and so I thought he'd chase the ball because it would be fun for me. But just like I don't like to serve as entertainment for others, neither does Magic.

Lesson one is now complete.

Namaste.

No comments: