20 May 2007

The Right Goes On


I have read many postings about the death of Jerry Falwell - on both sides.

In my view, Jerry Falwell probably did more to sow more division, intolerance and hatred in the United States than just about anyone in the last thirty years. For a follower of Jesus, he practiced precious little in the way of forgiveness, piety or charity. Jerry stood for all things decent as he defined them - emphasize he.

He was always happy, nay, dare I say - gleeful to cast the first stone. How could anyone have taken seriously a guy that blamed 9/11 on the fact that we "tolerate" the "gay lifestyle" "ACLU" and "abortion" here in America?

But his passing will not lessen the religious right - the right goes on and there are a million more where Jerry came from. There is a post on a blog called How To Be A Kid Again that elaborates on this topic far more eloquently than I can - good blog and worth a visit.

The "my Dog's better than your Dog" syndrome of which Jerry was but one manifestation of an illness that permeates the the religious focus of the US, the Middle East and so many other areas of the world. To think that the Pope or a Mullah or a powerful Rabbi or Pat Robertson (Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson said Friday he believes God has told him President Bush will be re-elected in a "blowout" in November 2004) has the inside track with God is just plain crazy.

Yet they all profess to know what he/she is thinking and wanting and whose side God is fighting on. I am pretty sure there has never been a war where one side said "OK, God's on the enemy's side, but we are still going to whip their butts anyway - divine intervention or not." I think if someone proffesses that God has told them this or that other thing, they should post the conversation on YouTube if they want us to give them any credence at all.

I have no idea what God is thinking. Even if I knew what God was thinking, I can't imagine understanding it. Most of the time I don't even understand what I'm thinking.

But in the meantime I am anxiously awaiting for that Conversation with God post on YouTube.

I'll let you know when I find it.

Namaste.


No comments: