05 March 2007

Who Will Speak For You?


Please Sign the petition against torture and supporting the closing of Guantánamo at the Amnesty USA website.

I feel sad because as I was signing the petition I felt just a shadow of fear go through me. Just a drop of fear that somehow the administration of Bush, Cheney and Gonzales could come for me...and detain me with no information to my family, no information to me, and no hope of anyone being able to help me.

Just for signing a petition asking for justice for those detained without any rights at all - I felt fear.

Is this what its come to?

And this fear reminded me of the famous poem by the Rev. Martin Niemoller from 1945.

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Who will speak for you??







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't :( you can only sign it if your american