10 February 2009

Missing BYOB Tonight...

I had to skip Bring Your Own Brain bible study tonight due to the trial I've got in federal court this week. Sad. But I did look up the readings for the week from the Lextionary: 2 Kings 5:1-14, Psalm 30 (2), 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, and Mark 1:40-45.

I love the images of Kings, where Naaman is healed of leprosy by the prophet in Israel. But Elisha does not come out to cure Naaman, nope, he sends a messenger who says "Go, wash in the Jordan seven times, and you flesh shall be restored and you shall be clean." And the high and mighty Naaman is offended. Yes, offended, Well, actually the bible says, angry, but he was sorely put out. That much is clear. So, anyway, he went away saying "I thought for me that he would surely come out, and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God and would wave his hand over the spot and cure the leprosy." Ultimately, Naaman's servants (what's that about) convince the idiot to go take a bath in the Jordan and get cured.

The point to me is simply that sometimes God grants our wishes but just not in the way we expect. Perhaps we don't even notice that our deepest desire has been granted because we asked for a red Mercedes and damned if we didn't get a green one which really is not what we wanted at all.

Perhaps Janis said it best:

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?


Namaste.

1 comment:

country girl said...

I like the focus of your blog. Janis Joplin and the Bible. Who would have thought they could appear in the same blog. It works for me. Hope the trial is going well.