29 May 2008

The Dogma of Magic


I am not by nature a patient man. My computer takes too long to boot, the page takes too long to load, and boiling water is an eternity. Frozen burritos take forever to nuke. If I could will microwaves to wave faster, I would.

I have always been in a hurry. In a hurry to relax. In a hurry to slow down. In a hurry to begin and be done. Life may be a journey and not a destination but I always seem to fall into the trap of believing otherwise.

Enter Magic, our new puppy. When he and I first met, I frantically tried to teach him to pee or poop quickly so that I could get on with whatever other much more important thing I was doing. Despite my best (?) efforts, Magic doesn't much care.

Magic lives on puppy time where there is always enough time and always another thing to smell, dig, chew, chase or lie on. Magic knows he can only smell, dig, chase, chew or lie on one thing at a time. Puppies innately know that multitasking is a sham.

Magic is training me in his First Law of Dogma, which can be summarized as follows:

"You can only pee in one place at a time."

Namaste.

PS: To get your own Happy Buddha dog tag (pictured above) visit Olive Green Dog

1 comment:

country girl said...

As you say, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Magic is it.