22 June 2007

So, Why Vegan?


I read one book, and I turn vegan.


But its been in the works forever, in the back of my mind, troubling me. But announcing you are vegan tends to get you some odd looks, as if you were somehow giving up all that is good and right and wonderful about eating and life and fun. As if it were somehow anti-American or unpatriotic.


I think in some ways being vegan is sort of where being a civil rights activist was in the late fifties. Race problem? What race problem? Animal suffering? Environmental destruction? Cause of lots of disease? Morally wrong? What? Change topic...


Well, its all of those things to one degree or another. My reasons for going vegan are primarily environmental, then moral, then my health and then disease. The madness of feeding animals 16 pounds of grain to create one pound of meat, the madness of using 70% of our farmland to grow crops to feed to animals (not to mention the amount of water involved...), the madness of fishing our ocean's to the edge of collapse (95% of edible species are considered endangered). The environmental costs in terms of pollution to create meat is staggering and mad. It is all madness.


I don't preach to friends or relatives or anyone. If people want to discuss it great, if not fine.


Gandhi once said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."


So that's what I'm doing.


Namaste.






No comments: