09 May 2009

Bible Verse Faves Of The Week

"Those who say, ‘I love God’, and hate their brothers or sisters, are liars; for those who do not love a brother or sister whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen" - 1 John 4:20

"How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help?" - 1 John 3:17

It seems so elementary to me that we should not hate others - even those with whom we share no common ground except the earth itself. It also seems so elementary to me that we should share our good fortune with those less fortunate - even those we or "proper" folk may think don't "deserve" such largess.

These two texts tell me that I should love those I don't care for and care for those who cannot care for themselves. That I should give freely without conditions, just as Christ did.

One of those easy to say, hard to follow commandments...

So, I should love Rush Limbaugh though he would not likely love me. And I should give to the dirty, homeless man on the corner with the crude sign that says "I have AIDS and am hungry. Anything will help. GOD BLESS" because, well, I can. If I see him, a brother in need, and I have the "world's goods," how can I refuse to help?

I assume that Jesus would kick my Volvo driving, Patagonia covered ass if I tried to weasel out of this one because the guy is obviously lazy or an addict or [insert excuse here] - because, really, I don't know anything except here is a person obviously in trouble who needs help, and I can help.

I don't need to know how he got AIDS, why he is hungry or how he came to be homeless. I don't even need to know if he's telling the truth. All I need to know is, he needs help with all three, and I have the good fortune to have the "world's goods."

Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... so did you?